Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Good Housekeeping Institute?

The Good Housekeeping Institute (GHI) is the country's foremost consumer product testing and consumer advocacy center, with a staff of scientists, engineers, nutritionists, and researchers dedicated to evaluating everything from moisturizers to bed sheets to cell phones. In addition to Beauty, Textiles, Nutrition, Kitchen Appliances, Home Appliances and Cleaning Products, and Consumer Electronics and Engineering Labs, GHI has a Test Kitchen, which creates, tastes, and triple-tests the thousands of recipes appearing annually in the magazine, in dozens of cookbooks, and on goodhousekeeping.com.

The Good Housekeeping Institute (GHI), founded in 1900, is situated in the Hearst Tower in New York City and is staffed by engineers, nutritionists, textile experts, home economists, and scientists. GHI tests hundreds of products every year for Good Housekeeping magazine and the Products Review Channel on GoodHousekeeping.com. GHI is composed of six labs and Good Housekeeping’s famous Test Kitchen:

Media and Tech Lab Lab

If it plugs in, operates on batteries, has wheels, is DIY related, or involves children’s equipment, it gets the attention of this GHRI lab! Whether they are testing the latest tech gadget, toy, automobile or home improvement product, they make sure the product is safe, effective, and will measure up in the real world!

Health, Beauty and Environmental Sciences Lab

In this lab, products related to health, beauty, fitness, pets, and environmental quality are reviewed. Product evaluations range from moisturizers and mascaras to insect repellents, water purifiers, pedometers, and exercise machines.

Home Appliances and Cleaning Products Lab

This lab evaluates dishwashers, washers and dryers, irons, vacuums, and other large and small home cleaning appliances as well as a wide range of cleaning products, like wood and silver polishes. Our cleaning pros advise readers on the best ways to care for their home and offer lots of smart, simple decluttering tips.

Kitchen Appliances and Technology Lab

Staffed by culinary experts, this department tests every piece of cooking equipment that could possibly find its way into the American kitchen. Everything from pots and pans to coffeemakers, toasters, and mixers to ranges and refrigerators, fall under their scrutiny.

Nutrition Lab

In this lab, food products and trends, nutrition news, and weight-loss strategies are investigated. Our registered dietitian develops diets, dispenses healthy and realistic eating advice, and conducts taste tests on many foods—from granola bars to organic and traditional peanut butter to gluten-free snacks.

Paper, Plastics, and Textiles Lab

Everything made of fiber— from apparel, like bathing suits and cashmere sweaters, to home goods, including pillows and towels, to disposable paper goods is evaluated in the textiles lab for durability and appearance.

Test Kitchen

In Good Housekeeping’s famous food laboratory, each year hundreds of recipes are developed and triple tested—on a range of kitchen equipment and using different leading brands of ingredients— for the magazine, plus cookbooks and special projects. The culinary pros introduce readers to the latest culinary trends and make sure recipes are clear and consistent.

How do GHI's consumer test panels work?

Based upon the responses you give in your profile as well as pre-questionnaires that are emailed to you, GHRI will determine which surveys are best suited for you. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee entry in evaluations.

Please be patient, as we have thousands of testers across the country and are sometimes seeking people with specific attributes. If you are selected, we will contact you. We will include as many people in the testing as possible.

I just moved. How can I update my address?

To update personal information, log into your account here: Account Login.

Once you are logged in, click on the “My Profile” tab on the left side of the page. Here you will be able to update your personal information, as well as make changes to your testing preferences. Don’t forget to hit “Update Profile” at the bottom of the page when you are done!

I have a new e-mail address. How can I alert Good Housekeeping to this change?

Any changes you make to your personal information will automatically register with our system. To update personal information, log into your account here: Account Login.

Once you are logged in, click on the “My Profile” tab on the left side of the page. Here you will be able to input changes to your personal information and testing preferences. Don’t forget to hit “Update Profile” at the bottom of the page when you are done!

I don’t want to test certain products anymore. How can I change my testing preferences?

If you ever need to change your testing preferences you can log into your account here: Account Login.

Once you are logged in, click on the “My Profile” tab on the left side of the page. Here you will be able to update your testing preferences, as well as make changes to your personal information if necessary. Don’t forget to hit “Update Profile” at the bottom of the page when you are done!

Good Housekeeping Tours

Interested in taking a tour of the famous Good Housekeeping Institute? Come visit GHI to learn how we put consumer products to the test and keep you safe.

Products Review Channel

Interested in learning the results of our product testing? Go to the Products Review Channel.

Beauty Product Testing FAQs

If you have specific questions related to Beauty Product Testing, click on the Beauty Product Testing tab above or in the bottom footer.

Go mobile for convenience on the go

For better experience open in communities app.

Go mobile for convenience on the go

For better experience open in communities app.